top of page
< Back

Pound, Barrow Road

One of the last remaining pieces of Sileby's manorial past.
'Double click' on the photograph for larger pictures and more notes.

The location of the pound is shown on a village map of c.1758. This was an enclosure used to retain stray animals found in Sileby's open fields and meadows until their owners came forward to claim them. The owners were then liable to pay a fine to the Lord of the Manor for their negligence.

In 1674 a number of Sileby's inhabitants were fined in the manorial court for trying to rescue their animals from the pound. If animals were not claimed within a year and a day of being found, they became the property of the lord of the manor.

bottom of page